First, we would like to provide you with a glimpse of the SAT exam.
Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) is a standardized exam that is conducted by the College Board in the USA. This exam assesses the aptitude level of students and gives them admission based on the SAT score. SAT is a comprehensive exam and has various topics that need to be covered by the students; mainly Math, English, Reading, and Language.
So what are the critical inputs required from a student to face the exam?
Consistency, determination, and perseverance are the keys to success in the SAT exam. Students need to learn the concepts thoroughly. Along with hard work, students also require some smart work to crack the SAT.
Why do students need strategies to attempt the SAT?
The SAT exam is not only about learning the concepts but more about how strategically students solve the questions. Students need to follow strategies, and these strategies help students increase their calculation speed and perform better in the SAT exam. One of the basic strategies in the SAT preparation is to follow a daily time table and solve at least 50-60 questions. Solving mock papers regularly along with high concentration on students’ weak areas is also necessary to crack this exam.
We have mentioned a few strategies which can help students crack the SAT exam:
- Split questions into sections based on complexity: A student needs to know his or her weak areas or topics. Keeping this in consideration, the student should divide the questions into 3 parts: easy, medium and tough according to their understanding. The students should attempt the easy questions first, as those are sure to fetch them marks. Once completed, their next focus should be on medium questions as those need substantial time to solve equations. And finally, they can devote time to harder questions which they are uncertain on how to approach. So students should try to spend less time on those questions which he/she is not sure about.
- Evaluation of skills before attempting the paper: It is important to attempt a diagnostic paper which will help students know the format of the test and analyze the skills they possess. Preliminary SAT (PSAT) is a good option for those who wish to practice before the SAT. So with the PSAT score, students can decide the SAT exam dates according to their level of practice.
- Cultivate a habit of reading: Many students fear SAT English as it mostly has lengthy comprehension. Usually, students are not in the habit of reading and hence find comprehension annoying. It is advisable to read novels, magazines, newspapers or non-fiction books from a very young age. This will help students increase their reading speed and will be beneficial for their SAT prep.
- Correct your weakness: Students generally are not in the habit of correcting themselves. They need to rectify their mistakes through a knowledge source as and when they get to know about it.
- Understand the test format: Understanding the format of the SAT paper, which includes the Math, English, Language and Reading sections, is fundamental. Many students fail because of their unfamiliarity with the exact format, and hence face difficulties while giving the exam. Students should try not to leave any topic before the SAT exam, covering the full syllabus will surely help them do wonders in the exam.
- Analyze SAT scores for different colleges: Students should keep in mind the different SAT scores for various colleges, and they should aim for a particular score to enter into the top tier institutes.
- Practice with a time table: A proper time table should be followed by the students and the focus should be placed equally on all the subjects. Students should attempt 50-60 questions every day in the beginning, and can gradually increase the number of questions. Along with conventional practice, consistency is also a key requirement for students to ace the exam.
- Take mock papers: SAT mock papers are available online or even in the form of a book. Practicing a good number of mock exams is necessary for aspirants aiming for a good score. SAT math sections are difficult to understand without going through the mock papers.
Well, if you are looking for the right place to improve your strategies 98thPercentile is the one. 98thPercentile provides a wide range of assessments regularly along with quality material. The website aims at uncovering all the topics perfectly for the students without making the preparations tiring for them. With an extensive curriculum and provisions for live interactive sessions, 98th Percentile assigns quality educators who can help devise proper strategies according to the capabilities of each student. Book your free trial today!